Happy Tuesday Fit Friends!
I hope you are well, I am struggling with a case of the sniffles. I am working on curing them with Cold 911 Tea from David’s Tea and all natural lemon honey. Honey has antibacterial properties and is rather soothing.
Olivia is sitting next to me working on her math homework and wishing she was crafting! Emily is hard at work studying for her exams this week and Rebecca is loving the fact that she has no exams and is enjoying a free week! She was amazing today, she finished the laundry, walked the dog and cooked us supper! I am in heaven its like having a maid!!! Too bad she can’t just drop out of high school and take care of her mama full time 😉
I am once again linking up with the ever AWESOME and INSPIRING Jessica from The Fit Switch and Jill from Jill Conyers Fitness, Health, and Happiness for their weekly link up #dishthefit. They invite other healthy living bloggers to “DISH” about hot topics. This week is a doozey!! This week we are dishing about….
Why is this topic such a biggie for me you must be wondering? The honest truth?? I am terrible at overcoming my cravings!
I really feel that unhealthy temptations and cravings are different. A CRAVING is something you NEED to have, an unhealthy TEMPTATION is food that is near by but not necessarily something you desire!!
Unhealthy temptations are often pretty easy for me to avoid. At work, for example, we often have treats in the staff room. No problem I don’t need them or want them so I just say NO. At a party, as long as I haven’t had too many mama beverages, I can usually just pass it up. I am not easily tempted!
CRAVINGS ARE SUPER DIFFERENT!!! I constantly struggle with my cravings. More specifically if I have recently indulged in a treat, it takes a long long time to get that taste or desire for more out of my system. I often have to finish it off completely before I can let it go. That is one reason why I do not have Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Seed Bark Thins in my home. I also don’t have any chocolate in my house that is open. (I have a few boxes of Purdy’s hiding in my closet for the next catastrophe).
My honest advice, if you crave it don’t buy it!!
Every once in a while I can dig deep and remind myself that eating that treat won’t help me reach my goals. But then I also try to rationalize that “Hey, I am not over weight, I am not an olympic super star, will having a brownie really be the worst thing in the world??”
Of course, it really isn’t the worst thing in the world, But….
If I allow myself to go down that road, I am certain to end up in a place where I am actually overweight and I am no longer capable of reaching my goals.
So my Best Advice:
- Keep plenty of healthy snacks around the house and in your purse.
- Remind yourself of your goals.
- Don’t let yourself get too hungry or tired, we tend to grab what ever is quick and sugary when we are over tired or hungry!
- Keep all desirables in single serving pieces and find better versions, a chunk of dark chocolate vs an entire Mars Bar.
- Find a suitable alternative – crunchy (carrots), chips (air popped popcorn), Sweet – fruit, Creamy – banana “ice cream”, Salty – (nuts – I am not a craver of salty foods, but one challenger said salted cucumber helped her chip fix!)
- Don’t keep it in the house, have dessert when you are out but don’t bring it home (or you will end up like me eating Salted Caramel Apple Cheese Cake for days!
How do you manage cravings?? Are you easily tempted??
P.S. Rebecca has decided to make 5 different types of cookies while she is off school this week, wish me luck!!