This week’s workout plan had me scheduled to run 6 miles today. However, yesterday morning I woke up with a tight left calf, by the end of yesterday it was in full pain. I had hoped heat and rest would solve my problems but unfortunately not. My calf is so sore that even a light touch or walking is causing me pain. So my run day has turned into an unplanned rest day :(.
Unplanned rest days often create a great deal of distress in runners and I am no exception. I realized I needed to keep my self busy and yelling at my girls to pick up their socks while drowning my sorrows with Girl Guide cookies wasn’t getting me very far.
Here is a list of Appropriate activities to keep you busy on your rest day, planned or unplanned:
1. Read – us mother runners often have a hard time finding the time to sit down, put our feet up and read. Your rest day is the perfect chance to do just that. I am currently reading the last book in the Divergent Series – Allegiant by Veronica Roth
Warning – Reading Runner’s World will only make you miss running more.
2. NetFlix – If reading isn’t your thing a movie/TV series Netflix marathon is the next best thing. I am currently sitting, writing this post while finishing of the last season of Gossip Girl.
3. Clean – Oh I know, just the idea sucks, but let’s be honest ladies we all have some dust bunnies or yellow lab fluff floating around that needs to be attended too.
4. Craft – While our workouts are the main hobbies of most of us fitness enthusiasts a little side project doesn’t hurt. I know that Doctor Mom a Toronto based runner also likes to cross stitch. I like to knit and fall is the season of mittens and scarves.
5. Stretch – If your body will allow it nothing will serve you better than a good stretch. While yoga is the typical method of stretching I also really enjoying P90X3 dynamics. It changes the poses from static to moving stretches. It does the body good. Foam rolling and massage are also a nice treat.
If these ideas don’t work there is always chocolate and alcohol (provide no meds are taken) to dull the pain until you can run again. 😉
How do you survive rest days planned or unplanned?
Workout Recap October 12-18.
Sunday – X3 Total Synergistics
Monday – 4.12 mile run
Tuesday – X3 Yoga
Wednesday – 3.2 Mile Run – Speedy
Thursday – X3 CVX – Cardio with weights
Friday – X3 The Warrior and 2.5 mile walk
Saturday – Rest
Total mileage – approx. 10 miles
Steps – 78,702, met steps goal 5 out of 7 days